Pico de bandama: Bandama Natural Monument | Hello Canary Islands
Hiking Tips for Caldera de Bandama in Gran Canaria – Rim and Caldera Walk | Parking
When Is the Best Time
The Caldera de Bandama is a fantastic example of mother nature’s enormous power. The crater is between 200-250 m deep and 1000 m wide. At the bottom of the caldera are derelict farmhouses inhabited in former times. This walk is an exciting trip into the earth’s history. The flora along the trail and in the crater is beautiful. Pictures do not justice how fantastic this hike is. You follow this cobbled path after the entrance gate to get to the crater.
Bandama crater and peak which is 569 m high were developed during the last heavy eruptions 2000 years ago. It is recorded as the last volcanic activity in Gran Canaria. In the beginning, all life and all nature were destroyed, but due to the fertile soil, new plants started growing. There is an endemic bush inside the caldera that doesn’t grow anywhere else; Dama de Bandama (parolinia grabiuscula).The first meters are cobbled stones and turn into a dusty hiking trail.
The crater is easy to reach, situated 20 minutes drive south of Las Palmas. It is one of the most interesting places in Gran Canaria, a Must-Visit sight where you may spend 2-3 hours. If you do not have a rental car, there is an excellent day tour available by GetYourGuide with no extra costs for you.
Opening Hours Bandama
The gate is closed in the evening.
- Caldera de Bandama Crater Walk: 8 am – 5 pm, secured by a gate.
- Pico de Bandama is open 24 hours. It is a great spot to watch the sunrise.
Weather Caldera de Bandama
The black basalt ash heats up the caldera.
The crater has its own microclimate. Due to the volcanic basalt ash, it is a few degrees warmer in the crater than on the crater rim. We visited the caldera in winter on a sunny day, and it was roughly 25°C inside. There is no wind nor shade inside the caldera. If you wish to know more about the weather in Gran Canaria, check out my additional article Gran Canaria – Best Time for this outstanding island. Already the beginning of this walk looks spectacular.
The best time for this unique hike regarding temperatures and parking is in the morning. If possible, choose a sunny and clear day for spectacular views.
Keep in mind hiking trails, roads, and restaurants are always busier during weekends.
Parking Caldera de Bandama and Public Transport
We parked our car to the right of the Bandama signs.
- There are small parking lots only. It may be challenging to find a space if you arrive during midday. We parked our car here next to the Bandama signs (Google Maps location)
- The parking on the peak “Pico de Bandama” (Google Maps location) is much bigger, and you can start from here, too.
- Next to the crater is a golf course, but parking for members only.
- You can also get here by bus from Las Palmas number 311.
You can park your car along this road on top of Pico de Bandama.
These are my recommended tours via GetYourGuide with 24 hours advance cancellation policy. Thx for booking via my website! With your support, I am able to provide all information first-hand. Tour prices are at no extra cost!
Best Months to Visit
Location and Tips
Canary Islands, Gran Canaria
Caldera de Bandama is protected as a National Monument, and the evidence for the last eruptions by active volcanoes was already 2000 years ago. It is located between the municipalities of Telde, Santa Brigida, and Las Palmas.
Hiking Trail Descriptions
How Bandama emerged after immense eruptions. Picture in high resolution
First of all, it is hot inside the canyon, even in the winter! Carry a water bottle and a snack, at least an apple or fruit for this incredible walk.
- Trail Length: 4 km
- Elevation Gain: 370 m
- Walking Duration: Maximum 2 hours, half an hour down, half an hour inside the canyon and roughly 45 minutes to get out and back to the crater rim.
- Hiking Map Picture and Hiking Map Link by Locus Pro
We spotted several kestrels around and in the crater.
It is an easy circular hike down into the crater and a bit strenuous to get back to the caldera rim. In the beginning, it is a well-maintained cobbled pathway, but it soon disappears and continues on a gravel dusty volcanic track that is a bit slippery.The old farmhouses and a grape press to the right.
Proper shoes are recommended for this hiking trail. The path is winding with spectacular views into the caldera. Although we made this trail in winter, it was warm inside the crater with no wind or shade. One of the caves at the bottom of the crater.
After 15-20 minutes, you reach a viewing platform. You get an excellent view into the entire inner crater and the ramshackle farmhouses. When you reach the bottom of Caldera de Bandama, turn left and hike clockwise direction of farmhouses. Signposts lead you to the attractions inside the caldera.
My favourite view is the palm trees inside with the towering crater in the back, which looks so surreal. We followed different paths and explored numerous caves which looked like they were inhabited in former times. You get back out of the crater on the same route.
An alternative hike is an easy trail on gravel terrain around the Caldera de Bandama.
- Trail Length: 3.5 km
- Elevation Gain: roughly 280 m
- Hike Duration: 1-1.5 hours
- Hiking Map Locus Pro
Pico de Bandama
The information and cafe were closed during our visit.
The peak is situated 569 m above sea level, offering a spectacular 360° degrees view of the Caldera de Bandama and the surroundings. If you are not able to hike into or around the crater, enjoy at least the breathtaking view from this viewpoint. Parking is available around the entire lookout.
The Characteristics of the Volcanic Landscape
The view from Pico de Bandama to the caldera and the volcanoes which formed this landscape.
The crater has its own microclimate for two reasons. The caldera heats up from small black porous pebbles, which are basalt ash that stores the heat of the sun but also the humidity from the cooling night. These small pebbles are well-known for viticulture, a common practice in the Canary Islands and Pico, Azores. These typical pebbles are called “picon” by the Canarians binding, the humidity, which is essential for the roots of the wine and other plants often endemic to this specific type of soil. Unfortunately closed in the morning and Monday-Wednesday.
You can try such caldera wine in the “Bodega Hoyos de Bandama” next to the entrance of the volcanic crater. Opening hours are only from 12-3 pm from Thursday to Sunday.
Do you want to obtain the usage right for my images? Contact me, but I will take action against picture theft.
Tickets & Tours – Bandama Caldera (Caldera de Bandama), Gran Canaria
Click to receive special offers, travel inspo, tips, and updates from Viator. Don’t worry, you can opt out any time.
- Tours & Tickets
Nature and Wildlife Tours
Private Sightseeing Tours
Deals & Discounts
Likely to Sell Out
New on Viator
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What’s the best way to experience Bandama Caldera (Caldera de Bandama)?
More Tours in Gran Canaria
- Art & Culture
- Audio Guides
- Classes & Workshops
- Food & Drink
- Likely To Sell Out
- Outdoor Activities
- Seasonal & Special Occasions
- Tickets & Passes
- Tours, Sightseeing & Cruises
- Travel & Transportation Services
- Unique Experiences
Things to do near Gran Canaria
- Things to do in Canary Islands
- Things to do in Tenerife
- Things to do in Fuerteventura
- Things to do in Puerto del Rosario
- Things to do in Arrecife
- Things to do in Lanzarote
- Things to do in La Palma
- Things to do in Funchal
- Things to do in Calheta
- Things to do in Agadir
- Things to do in Essaouira
- Things to do in Marrakech
- Things to do in Casablanca
- Things to do in Madeira
- Things to do in Central Morocco
More attractions near Gran Canaria
- Jardín Botánico Canario Viera y Clavijo
- Museo Canario (Canarian Museum)
- Catedral de Santa Ana
- Columbus House (Casa de Colón)
- Teatro Pérez Galdós
- Pérez-Galdós House-Museum (Casa-Museo Pérez Galdós)
- Calle Triana
- Pueblo Canario
- Santa Catalina Park (Parque de Santa Catalina)
- Elder Museum of Science and Technology (Museo Elder de la Ciencia y la Tecnologia)
- Poema del Mar Aquarium
- Mercado del Puerto
- Cocodrilo Park Zoo
- Roque Nublo
- Hoover Dam
- Molokini Crater
- Eiffel Tower
- Statue of Liberty
- Na Pali Coast
- Burj Khalifa
- Road to Hana (Hana Highway)
- Las Vegas Strip
- French Quarter
- River Seine
- Sagrada Familia
- Blue Lagoon
Likely to Sell Out
Based on our booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, this experience is likely to sell out through Viator.
90,000 PICO Calder de Bandama: photo and short description
- The attractions of Grand Canary
- Kaldera de Bandama
PIKO de Bandama
in the crater
On the way to the pico
Caldera de Bandama created an incredibly beautiful geological attraction. This is a huge volcanic cauldron (diameter is about 900m and a depth of 200m) on the island of Gran Canaria has rightly become the most amazing and unforgettable vacation for any tourist.
Many scientists believe that the lava eruption occurred once 5000 years ago. And since vineyards were planted near the crater, the extinct volcano was named after Daniel, one of those who made wonderful wine.
And until now, not far from Caldera de Bandama, they make wine that every tourist can taste.
Climbing to the very top of Pico de Bandama you can see the crater of the volcano. It is especially surprising that a variety of trees and shrubs grow here (dragon tree, junipers, pistachios and much more).
At the foot of the volcano is a small village of potters who use the technology of the island’s oldest population, the Guanches. Their beautiful products are famous all over the world.
To look at the miracle of nature, you must first get to the observation deck, which is located on top of Pico de Bandama. Transport leaves from Monte Lentiscal and drives, focusing on the Bandama signs.
If you have a desire to go down inside the crater of the volcano, be sure to bring comfortable shoes for walking on volcanic soil, as it is slippery. The path down takes about 30 minutes.
Cost of visiting
If you are going to visit on your own, the visit will be free, only your travel expenses. And with an organized tour, the approximate cost will be from 48 to 55 € for one person. Usually, the duration is from 4 to 8 hours and include:
- guide accompaniment;
- transport from Monte Lentiscal;
- walk along the perimeter and depths of the crater;
- wine tasting from wine cellars.
Treat yourself to an unforgettable vacation and visit a natural wonder created for true travelers and family lovers surrounded by incredible nature!
No reviews for this property yet 🙁 Be the first!
TURCHING PIKO-BANDAM PUERO RICO
Las Palmas, Calder de Bandama
-Exit from Las palmasis (Las Palm) 9-00. Our first destination is the Caldera de Bandama. This is the crater of the largest volcano on the island, its diameter is almost a kilometer. We will climb to the top of Pico de Bandama, 574m high, from where a magnificent view of the crater itself, part of Las Palmas, the first golf club of Gran Canaria (Real Club de Golf de Las Palmas) and, of course, the boundless ocean. From a height it is difficult to distinguish the border where the water ends and the sky begins, and the ships standing on the water will seem like toys to you, frozen either on a plate or on a mirror …
view from Pico de Bandama
view from Pico de Bandama to Las Palmas
– Next we will get acquainted with the evergreen gorge of Barranco de Guayade, which stretches from the center of the island of Guayadeque (Barranco . In some places, the depth of the gorge reaches 1.5 thousand meters, bewitching pictures will open before you – majestic mountain landscapes, mysterious grottoes, lush vegetation, mysterious caves. It was once the most populous place in Gran Canaria. And now people live here, about 20 families live in the gorge, enjoying the silence and intoxicating air. nine0012
view of the Guayadeque gorge
– Next we will visit the very cozy town of Aguimes, walk through its old center, narrow well-groomed streets. Let’s go to the Church of San Sebastian (Templo parroquial de San Sebastian), which is declared a historical and cultural heritage of Spain. Numerous sculptures found on the streets give a special charm to this town.
Agüimes, narrow streets
Agüimes, one of the many figures
– Next, you will get acquainted with the beach of Gran Canaria. The island has 60 km of beaches for every taste and for every tourist. We will start from the beach of San Agustin (Playa de San Agustin). Beach for a relaxing holiday, for those who do not like a large crowd of tourists. We will climb to the observation deck of the Gloria Palace San Agustin hotel, from where a beautiful panorama opens.
San Agustin, Gloria Palace Hotel
– Playa de Ingles – a beach where it is always noisy, tourist life rages around the clock. This is the largest European tourist resort, it has everything – a huge beach with golden sand, a huge number of places for shopping and entertainment. nine0012
– Playa de Maspalomas and the famous Maspalomas Dunes. A walk along the dunes will give you an unforgettable pleasure, the dunes fascinate with their calmness, the wind sorting through the sand on their peaks, painting a picture of a small Sahara.
Maspalomas Dunes – the pride of Gran Canaria
– Puerto Rico de Gran Canaria is the sunniest place in Gran Canaria. A beautiful sandy beach located in a bay is a great place to relax with children. Very impressive hotels, almost built into the rocks. nine0012
– Playa de Amadores is a wonderful place for a relaxing romantic getaway.