Warm european countries in december: Stunning Warm Places in Europe in Winter
2023 off to warm start, breaking records in Europe
Record-breaking heat was observed in several European countries on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, the UN World Meteorological Organization (WMO) has confirmed.
Temperatures above 20°C were observed in many European countries. Some national and many local temperature records for December and January were broken in several countries from Spain to eastern parts of Europe, WMO said. In Iceland at the end of 2022, the picture was reversed, with unusually cold temperatures observed in December.
A high-pressure zone over the Mediterranean region and an Atlantic low-pressure system induced a strong south-west flux that brought warm air from north-western Africa to middle latitudes.
At Spain’s Bilbao airport, a reading of 25.1°C on 1 January smashed the previous all-time record established 12 months earlier, by 0.7°C. And in the eastern French city of Besançon, usually chilly at this time of year, temperatures hit a new all-time high of 18.6°C on New Year’s Day, 1.8°C above the previous record, dating back to January 1918.
In the German city of Dresden, the 1961 New Year’s Eve record of 17.7°C was left trailing by the 19.4°C reading taken on 31 December 2022. Further north, in Denmark’s Lolland island, 2023 started with a new high of 12.6°C, overtaking the 12.4°C record set in 2005.
However, the picture was not the same across Europe. In Iceland, temperatures were unusually cold over the festive season.
Suburbs of Reykjavik, capital of Iceland, on New year’s eve © Teitur Thorkelsson
“While southernly winds brought warm air to the north, northerly winds pushed cold air southward over the Atlantic close to Iceland,” Halldór Björnsson, meteorologist at the Icelandic Met Office told UNRIC. “The result is that December 2022 is the coldest December on record since 1973 in Iceland and the coldest for 100 years in Reykjavik. However, the autumn had been unusually mild in Iceland and November was the warmest ever.”
2022 records smashed
These records come as some European national meteorological services, including in Spain, France, Germany and the United Kingdom, announce that 2022 will be the hottest year ever recorded in their respective countries.
The UK recorded an average annual temperature of over 10°C for the first time, with a provisional figure of 10.03°C. This made the year 0.89°C above the 1991-2020 average and 0.15°C higher than the previous record of 9.88°C set in 2014. A study by the country’s Met Office showed human induced climate change made the record-breaking annual temperature around 160 times more likely.
Urgent climate action
Temperatures over Europe have warmed significantly over the 1991-2021 period, at an average rate of about +0. 5°C per decade, the highest of any continent in the world and more than twice the global average, according to WMO’s 2021 Europe State of the Climate Report.
With immediate action now, the drastic impacts of climate change can still be prevented, but countries are not on track to fulfil the promises they have made.
United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres says he is determined for 2023 to be a “year for action”. He announced he will convene a Climate Ambition Summit in September, and called on every leader to “step up – from governments, business, cities and regions, civil society and finance.”
‘Feels like summer’: Warm winter breaks temperature records in Europe
LONDON/BRUSSELS: Record-high winter temperatures swept across parts of Europe over the new year, bringing calls from activists for faster action against climate change while offering short-term respite to governments struggling with high gas prices.
Hundreds of sites have seen temperature records smashed in the past days, from
Switzerland to Poland
to Hungary, which registered its warmest Christmas Eve in Budapest and saw temperatures climb to 18.9 degrees Celsius (66.02°F) on January 1.
In France, where the night of December 30/31 was the warmest since records began, temperatures climbed to nearly 25 degree Celsius in the southwest on New Year’s Day while normally bustling European ski resorts were deserted due to a lack of snow.
Czech Television reported some trees were starting to flower in private gardens, while Switzerland’s office of Meteorology and Climatology issued a pollen warning to allergy sufferers from early blooming hazel plants.
The temperature hit 25.1C at Bilbao airport in Spain’s Basque country. People basked in the sun as they sat outside Bilbao’s Guggenheim Museum or walked along the River Nervion.
“It always rains a lot here, it’s very cold and it’s January and it feels like summer,” said Bilbao resident Eusebio Folgeira, 81.
French tourist Joana Host said: “It’s like nice weather for biking but we know it’s like the planet is burning. So we’re enjoying it but at the same time we’re scared.”
Scientists have not yet analysed the specific ways in which climate change affected the recent high temperatures, but January’s warm weather spell fits into the longer-term trend of rising temperatures due to human-caused climate change.
It follows another year of extreme weather events that scientists concluded were directly linked to global heating, including deadly heatwaves in Europe and India, and flooding in Pakistan.
“The record-breaking heat across Europe over the new year was made more likely to happen by human-caused climate change, just as climate change is now making every heatwave more likely and hotter,” said Dr Friederike Otto, climate scientist at Imperial College London.
Temperature spikes can also cause plants to start growing earlier in the year, making them vulnerable to being killed off by frosts, said Otto.
“When millions of people across Europe are experiencing a heatwave in January it might be time to completely end our society’s dependence on planet-heating fossil fuels,” Greenpeace UK said.
French national weather agency Meteo France attributed the anomalous temperatures to a mass of warm air moving to Europe from subtropical zones.
It struck during the busy skiing season, leading to cancelled trips and empty slopes. Resorts in the northern Spanish regions of Asturias, Leon and Cantabria have been closed since the Christmas holidays due to lack of snow.
On Jahorina above Sarajevo in Bosnia and Herzegovina, home to the 1984 Winter Olympics, it should have been one of the busiest weeks of the season. Instead, the chair-lifts hung lifeless above the grassy slopes. In one guesthouse a couple ate dinner alone in the restaurant, the only guests.
A ski jumping event in Zakopane, southern Poland, planned for the weekend of Jan. 7-8 was cancelled.
Weather eases gas strain
The unusually mild temperatures have offered some short-term relief to European governments who have struggled to secure scarce gas supplies and keep a lid on soaring prices after Russia slashed deliveries of the fuel to Europe.
European governments have said this energy crisis should hasten their shift from fossil fuels to clean energy – but in the short term, plummeting Russian fuel supplies have left them racing to secure extra gas from elsewhere.
Gas demand has fallen for heating in many countries, helping to reduce prices.
The benchmark front-month gas price was trading at 70.25 euros per megawatt hour on Wednesday morning, its lowest level since February 2022 before Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
The head of Italy’s energy authority predicted that regulated energy bills in the country would fall this month, if the milder temperatures help keep gas prices lower.
However, a note by Eurointelligence cautioned that this should not lull governments into complacency or remove a sense of urgency over Europe’s energy crisis.
“While it will give governments more fiscal breathing room in the first part of this year, resolving Europe’s energy problems will taken concerted action over the course of several years,” it said. “Nobody should believe this is over yet.”
10 countries where you can go in winter
Our country is located in a sharply continental climate zone, so for the whole year we see all 4 seasons of weather changes. True, often with the onset of cold weather, more and more I want to return to the warm summer, soak up the sun and sunbathe on the white sand.
Due to the fact that, for many residents of Kyrgyzstan, foreign holidays are still associated only with Turkey, the travel agency “Putyovka.KG” decided to tell more about the countries where you can go in winter. nine0003
1.Based on the performance of the past 2017, the UAE is the undisputed leader in autumn-winter holidays. In a country where most of the buildings are made of glass and iron, the summer becomes unbearably hot. And with the onset of September, the air temperature drops and the most favorable time for a holiday in this fabulous country comes.
Tours to Dubai from Bishkek
Trips to Dubai from Almaty
2. Another undisputed leader among winter destinations is Egypt. In Egypt, due to the pleasant and dry climate, the season lasts all year round, and the high season is from October to March. From November 1 this year, direct flights from Bishkek to Sharm el-Sheikh were opened, and the flight itself lasts about 5.5 hours. A visa is issued upon arrival for $25. Pleasant climate, beautiful underwater world and excellent service make Egypt a real tidbit among countries for winter holidays. nine0003
Tours to Egypt from Bishkek
Last minute tours to Egypt from Almaty
3. Thanks to its rich history and beautiful tropical nature, Thailand has become one of the most beloved destinations for the Kyrgyz people. Summer in Thailand is the rainy season, which lasts until the end of August and the beginning of September. Those who wish will go to Thailand during the high season, i.e. from November to January, we advise you to book the tour in advance. Since Thailand is loved all over the world and most of the recommended hotels are booked months in advance. nine0003
Tours to Thailand from Bishkek
Pattaya from Almaty
4. India is a huge country with several climatic zones. And the weather in them may differ, but the most favorable weather in all climatic zones comes by the end of October and the beginning of November. The history and architecture of India attracts tourists from all over the world. You can admire the beautiful views of Agra and Jaipur, visit the amazing mausoleum of the Taj Mahal, undergo Ayurvedic treatment in Keralli. And all the youth of the world goes to the state of Goa, where mega parties are held. nine0003
Tours to Goa
5. In Sri Lanka, the season lasts all year round. You can buy a tour to Sri Lanka by flying from Bishkek via Dubai. The most recommended resorts are Hikkaduwa and Unnawatuna. Sri Lanka is a favorite country for lovers of quiet and family holidays. Sri Lanka is the exact opposite of Goa, here you will not find nightclubs, but on the contrary, local attractions are in harmony with nature. To enter this country, citizens of the Kyrgyz Republic will need a visa, which is issued upon arrival for $50. nine0003
6. Another country for winter holidays is China, namely Hainan Island. Hainan is a novelty for our layman, since only from May 1, 2018, a simplified visa regime was introduced to this island, i.e. A visa is issued upon arrival for $25. Hainan is called eastern Hawaii, since Hainan is located in the same latitude as Hawaii. Thanks to the tropical climate, the season here lasts all year round, but the highest season is from October to March. Since March, the rainy season begins and hoteliers reduce prices, and in the summer you can buy last-minute tours to Hainan. Oriental medicine also attracts many tourists. By purchasing a tour in our travel agency, you get the opportunity to undergo free diagnostics at the medical center
Tours to Hainan
7. Vietnam is a country in Southeast Asia, but the closest in spirit to the Soviet people. Here everywhere you will see flags almost like Soviet, Soviet “UAZ”, and there are even pioneers in ties. But since Vietnam was a French colony, the resorts are quite European. And truly Vietnam is ancient temples, natural parks, beautiful beaches, an extensive hotel base and delicious food. And also in Vietnam, the lowest prices throughout Southeast Asia.
Combined tour to Vietnam and Thailand
8. Another country where tourism is in full swing all year round is Indonesia, and more specifically, the island of Bali. Bali is primarily a volcano, rice fields, as well as ancient culture, shopping and discos. The ideal travel time is from November to March. At this time, there are fewer tourists and prices are falling. And the weather is quite summery by our standards.
Bali Combined Tour
9. It’s no secret that the Maldives is the most romantic holiday destination. For locals, there are no seasons, but there is a rainy season and a season without rains. The rainy season lasts from May to August, and the most pleasant months for relaxation are from November to April. At this time, the rainy weather is already over and the sun shines for whole days. And the air temperature freezes at around 30 degrees. nine0003
Maldives – Paradise on earth
10. Last on the list, but one of the most impressive options that can be noted is sea cruises. Many people think that cruises are expensive, but in fact this is the most profitable option for traveling. You will have the opportunity to see several countries in one trip, and you will have stops in each country. Moreover, unlike rest on land, cruise ships are full of entertainment, which are included in the initial price and on cruises the concept of food on the basis of all inclusive.